Ramsey Nouah is one of Nollywood’s most talented and accomplished Nigerian film industry actors and directors. He is a Nigerian National with mixed heritage from a Nigerian mother and a Lebanese/British father. Ramsey Nouah grew up in a family of 6 siblings. He has four sisters and one brother. Nouah has spoken about his close relationship with his family and how they have supported him throughout his career. In an interview, he mentioned that his siblings are very proud of his achievements and are there for him. He is an actor and director born on December 19, 1970, in Edo State, Nigeria.
Ramsey Nouah’s Early Years and Education
Ramsey Nouah had his primary and secondary education in Lagos, Nigeria. He attended Atara Primary School and Community Grammar School in Surulere, Lagos. After completing his secondary education, Ramsey Nouah studied mass communication admission to the University of Lagos. However, he did not complete his degree, preferring to focus on his acting career.
Watching American movies as a child inspired Ramsey Nouah to pursue acting. Subsequently, growing up in a family of entertainment enthusiasts exposed him to movies and music from a young age. His favourites were actors like Eddie Murphy, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, as well as Marlon Brando.
Nouah’s mother also influenced him and sparked his interest in acting. She was a stage actress and often took him to watch her rehearsals and performances. He later enrolled in a drama school in Lagos to hone his skills, then began auditioning for roles in Nollywood movies. He believes with hard work and dedication, anything is possible.
No wonder Nouah has always been passionate about learning and self-improvement despite not completing his formal education. He says he reads and watches documentaries to expand his knowledge and understanding of the world.
Ramsey’s Nollywood Career
Nouah began his acting career in the early 1990s. A talent scout discovered him while hanging out with friends at a local movie set. His first significant role came in the 1993 Nigerian TV series “Fortunes,” which helped launch his acting career. He quickly gained popularity in Nollywood and has since appeared in over 100 Nollywood movies, including “Figurine,” “The Faculty,” “Power of Love,” “Reloaded” and more recently, “Merry Men.”
Nouah’s breakout role came in the movie “Silent Night” (1996), in which he played the lead role of Jeff. The movie succeeded commercially, and Nouah’s critics and audiences loved his performance. So, “Silent Night” helped to establish him as one of the most talented actors in Nollywood. It also paved the way for a successful career in the industry.
In addition to acting, Nouah has also ventured into directing and has directed several Nollywood movies. “Living in Bondage: Breaking Free” and “Rattlesnake: The Ahanna Story” are just a few. The industry knows Nouah for his versatility and ability to bring depth and variation to his characters. So, his good looks and charming personality are not all he brings to Nollywood.
Ramsey Nouah Most Notable Work
Ramsey Nouah is a highly respected and acclaimed actor in Nollywood. Some of his most notable acting performances include:
- “Living in Bondage” (1992): This was Nouah’s first significant role in Nollywood, and it launched him into stardom. In the movie, he plays the role of Andy. Andy is a struggling young man who becomes involved in ritual killings to achieve wealth and success.
- “Figurine” (2009): In this movie, Nouah plays the character of Femi, a soldier. A cursed figurine he discovered while on a peacekeeping mission in Sierra Leone haunts him.
- “30 Days in Atlanta” (2014). This comedy movie that AY Makun directed features Nouah in a hilarious role as a con artist. He conspires with a corrupt police officer to swindle money from unsuspecting victims.
- “Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons” (2018): In this action-comedy movie, Ramsey Nouah plays the character of IAyo Alesinloye—the leader of a no-nonsense, charming group of stylish, charismatic young con men seeking social justice.
- “Dangerous Twins” (2004) – In this movie, Nouah plays the dual roles of Taiwo and Kehinde. They are identical twin brothers separated at birth and raised by different families. His performance earned him critical acclaim establishing him as one of Nollywood’s most versatile actors.
In addition to acting, Ramsey Nouah has also ventured into directing and has directed several Nollywood movies. Some of the movies he has directed include:
- “Living in Bondage: Breaking Free” (2019): A sequel to the original “Living in Bondage” movie. Subsequently, it explores the themes of greed, ambition, and ritual killings in modern-day Nigeria.
- “Rattlesnake: The Ahanna Story” (2020): This movie is a remake of the 1995 Nollywood classic “Rattlesnake.” A young man joins a group of armed robbers to avenge his brother’s death.
Ramsey’s Impact on Nollywood
- Nouah has won multiple awards for his acting.
- Best Actor in a Leading Role at the Africa Movie Academy Awards,
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards, and
- Best Actor in a Drama at the Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
- He has also directed several successful movies, including “Living in Bondage: Breaking Free” (2019). It was a commercial success in Nollywood. Critics praise his directorial style as having attention to detail and casting the best actors.
- As a strong advocate for the development of Nollywood, and has also worked to promote the industry nationally and internationally. He mentors up-and-coming actors and participates in industry initiatives to improve the quality and visibility of Nigerian movies.
- Nouah’s versatility as an actor has been one of his biggest strengths in Nollywood. The industry players have cast him in a wide range of roles. The romantic lead in “My Love” (2002), the villain in “The Figurine” (2009) and the action hero in “Merry Men: The Real Yoruba Demons” (2018). These appearances have helped him build a solid fan base. He also established a reputation as one of Nollywood’s most talented and versatile actors.
- Nouah was involved in the production of several successful TV series in Nigeria. One of these was “Ultimate Power” (2013) and “The Family” (2016). Because of his involvement in these projects, he has helped raise the Nigerian television profile.
Overall, Ramsey, Nouah’s achievements and contributions to Nollywood have been significant. Consequently, have cemented his place as one of the most talented actors in Nollywood. He also played a crucial role in the industry’s development and success.
Ramsey Nouah is working on Merry Men 3, which will feature Nadia Buari. Pictures showing a wedding scene have the internet wondering if they secretly married.
Ramsey Nouah’s Marriage and Networth
Ramsey Nouah got married to his wife Emelia Philips-Nouah in 2002. The couple has been together for over two decades. They then had three children: a son and two daughters. They generally keep their relationship out of the public eye and rarely discuss their marriage or personal life in interviews.
Ramsey Nouah has a net worth of around $4 million. This comes from his successful career in Nollywood, where he has appeared in numerous movies and TV shows, and his work as a director, producer, and endorsement deals. He has been the brand ambassador for companies such as Globacom and MTN. Additionally, Nouah has invested in real estate and has several properties in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria.